- Where do the funds raised at Hoosiers Outrun Cancer go and what are they used for?
- This year the funds will benefit The Bloomington Health Foundation Cancer Support Fund. This fund assists – at no charge – cancer patients in our community with needs beyond clinical care: massage therapy, art therapy, patient and family support groups, transportation assistance and more.
- What are the Run/Walk distances offered?
- The 1 Mile Kid’s Fun Run is for ages 14 and under and begins at 10:00 am sharp with the 1 Mile walk directly following. Parents are welcome to accompany our younger participants. Participation awards are handed out at the finish line by members of the IU Football Team.
The 5K Run is timed, for all ages, and begins at 10:20 am sharp.
The 5k Walk is for all ages, not timed, and begins immediately after the 5k Run.
The course is a challenging run through the IU campus with a steep climb between miles 1 and 2 and then a fast last mile downhill all the way to the finish. The course record in its current configuration was set in 2015 and is held by Aaron Zollman at a blistering 15:55.5 (5:08 pace). For the course route map, please visit the course info page. ALL participants please wear their bibs on your chest at all times.
- What is the virtual race option?
- Hoosiers Outrun Cancer “Virtual 5K Run and Donation” is a package that combines a generous donation with a 5K race entry and includes shipment of your event tee, your race number/bib, and our 20th anniversary commemorative medallion via USPS to the address in your registration (Continental USA only).
The registration deadline is 9/19 and all items will be shipped by race day.
- Important dates and deadlines
- Monday, September 9, 2019 – TECH Material event tee option expires
Tuesday, September 17, 2019 – MAIL IN registration deadline
Thursday, September 19, 2019 – Extra event tee orders with your online registration deadline
Thursday, September 19, 2019 – Team early Packet Pickup request deadline
Thursday, September 19, 2019 – Team post race tailgate space reservation deadline
Thursday, September 19, 2019 – Sponsors Row space reservation deadline
Thursday, September 19, 2019 – Team registration ends at midnight
Thursday, September 19, 2019 – Early registration ($30) ends at midnight
Friday, September 20, 2019 – LATE registration begins – fee increases to $35
Monday, September 23, 2019 – ONLINE registration ends at midnight
Wednesday, September 25, 2019 – EARLY TEAM packet pickup @ HFI (11am-6pm)
**must have requested this option by September 19th**
Friday, September 27, 2019 – on-site late registration and EARLY packet pickup (IU Memorial Stadium)
Saturday, September 28, 2019 – RACE DAY
- What is the event schedule?
- Friday, September 27, 2019 (@ IU Memorial Stadium – west concourse, 1001 E 17th St.) 11:00am-6:00pm – Packet Pick-Up & Late Registration
Saturday, September 28, 2019 (@ IU Memorial Stadium – west concourse, 1001 E 17th St.)
7:30am-9:00am – Packet Pick-Up & Late Registration
9:15am – Cancer Survivors and Warriors gather at the stage
9:30am-9:50am – Opening Ceremony
9:50-10:00am – Final Instructions
10:00am – Start of the 1 Mile kid’s Run and Family Fun Walk
10:20am – Start of the 5K Run/Walk
11:15am – Awards Ceremony
- What are the prices for event registration?
- Hoosiers Outrun Cancer – ALL ages – 1 Mile and 5K categories
1/1/19 – 9/19/19: $30.00
9/20/19 – 9/28/19: $35.00Hoosiers Outrun Cancer – ALL ages – Virtual 5K and Donation package
1/1/19 – 9/19/19: $100.00 (not available after 9/19/19)
To avoid online registration processing fees, you may click here to view or download the mail in paper registration form. Mailed in registration forms MUST be received by us no later than Tuesday – 9/17/2019.
- How is the climate in Bloomington during late September?
- Typical September weather in Bloomington generally starts out cool in the morning with an average low temperature of around 60 degrees warming up to an average high temperature of 70 degrees by noon.
- What roads will be closed?
- 17th street from Gate 6/N. Fess Ave. to N. Dunn street will be closed from about 10:10am until no later than 11:10am.
Dunn street from 17th street to the Indiana SR46 bypass will be closed from about 10:10am until no later than 10:45am.
Indiana Avenue from 17th street to 10th street will be closed from about 10:10am until no later than 11:10am.
East Cottage Grove Avenue from Indiana Avenue to Woodlawn Avenue will be closed from about 10:15am until no later than 11:20am.
Woodlawn Avenue from East Cottage Grove Avenue to 13th Street will be closed from about 10:20am until no later than 11:40am.
13th Street from Woodlawn Avenue to Fee Lane will be closed from about 10:20am until no later than 11:40am.
Fee Lane from 13th Street to East Law Lane will be closed from about 10:20am until no later than 11:50am.
East Law Lane from Fee Lane to Jordan Avenue will be closed from about 10:20am until no later than 11:50am.
Jordan Avenue from East Law Lane to 17th street will be closed from about 10:20am until no later than 11:50am.
17th street from Jordan Avenue to the Jordan extension will be closed from about 10:20am until no later than 11:55am.
Jordan extension from 17th street to Fee Lane will be closed from about 10:20am until no later than 11:55am.
Fee Lane at the intersection of the Jordan extension will be closed from about 10:20am until no later than 12:15pm.
From this location onward the HOC 5K course is wholly contained inside the IU Athletics parking PURPLE lot. To see the full course route map please click on the following link Course Info.
- Do participants receive a custom event tee shirt?
- Yes, all participants who register by September 19th are guaranteed a long sleeve event tee shirt. Registrations after September 19th are NOT guaranteed an event tee so we can make sure that funds are not wasted on leftover tee shirts. We strongly recommend that everyone register as early as possible.
- What sizing are the Hoosiers Outrun Cancer event tees?
- All event tees (including the optional tech tee) are UNISEX sizing. Event tee sizes range from children’s 4T to Adult 3XL.
- Is there a Hoosiers Outrun Cancer tech tee option?
- Yes, during online registration we offer the option to replace your standard event tee with a 100% Poly or Poly blended tech style event tee for an additional fee of $10 (unisex sizing.) Please note that this option is only available thru September 9th. The tech tee option is for adult sizes only and is unfortunately unavailable with the “Survivor/Warrior” (red) tee option.
- Are additional Hoosiers Outrun Cancer event tees available for purchase?
- Yes, during the early online registration (prior to September 20th) process additional event tees may be added to your registration for $12 each. If available, additional tees may also be purchased in the late registration area at packet pickup at Memorial Stadium on 9/27 and 9/28.
- Are there event medals?
- To celebrate the 20th anniversary of Hoosiers Outrun Cancer this year the first 5000 participants to register will receive a commemorative medallion. You will receive the medallion with your race number and event tee at packet pickup. There has never been a finisher medal as part of Hoosiers Outrun Cancer so register early to ensure you get yours!
- Are the races chip timed?
- Yes, the Kid’s 1 Mile Fun Run (14 and under) and the 5K Run are a gun start and a chip timed finish.
The 1 Mile Family Fun Walk and the 5K Walk are NOT timed.
A results kiosk is available near the finish line so that you can retrieve your “unofficial” finish time before you leave. Later in the day on race day we will post the full “official” results via the results page.
- Where should I stay?
- Hoosiers Outrun Cancer is very often the same weekend as the Lotus Festival so a hotel room may be difficult to find. We highly recommend that you shop for and reserve your accommodations as early as possible.
To learn more about options for your overnight stay check out Visit Bloomington.
- Who should I contact about being an “elite” runner?
- There are no COMPED entries for Elite runners in the Hoosiers Outrun Cancer 5K Run
HOOSIERS OUTRUN CANCER TEAMS FAQ
- What does it mean to be a Hoosiers Outrun Cancer team?
- Each year over 100 teams both large and small represent more than 3000 of the 5000 participants at Hoosiers Outrun Cancer. Teams are a great way to recruit friends, family, or coworkers to join you in running or walking on race day. Many participate in the race to remember a loved one, in honor of someone currently battling their diagnosis, or a survivor.
To get a team started your Team Captain needs to register themselves and create your team’s name by clicking here. After the team name is registered/created it will be added to the drop down list of team names as a choice for any subsequent registrations by new teammates.
- How do I register to join a team?
- Anyone who wishes to join a team can click the registration button at the top of this page and then the “join a team” button or simply click here.
- I am a team captain – can I login to see my team members?
- Yes visit the team captain login which includes a list of all team members, their email addresses, tee shirt sizes, as well as an email tool that gives you the ability to send email messages to your whole team at once.
- What is the early team packet pickup?
- Early team packet pickup is a way that a team representative can pickup ALL tee shirts and race numbers for their team on the Wednesday (3 days) prior to race day. Those representatives are responsible for distributing to team members.
You can register for early team packet pickup by answering “yes” to the team packet pickup question during the online registration process or by emailing our HOC Teams Coordinator here.
The deadline to request early team packet pick up is 9/19/19.
Team packet pickup: Wednesday, September 25th, 11am – 6pm at Harrell-Fish, Inc., 2010 Fountain Drive, Bloomington IN, 47404
Note: HOC staff is not responsible for items once they have been picked up by a team representative. Please check to make sure all sizes/numbers are correct before departing the packet pickup.
- What is the team tailgate?
- Teams can request a tailgate space to meet after the race. The teams post race tailgate area is located in IU Memorial Stadium’s parking purple lot, close to the Finish line. Team tailgate spots are by reservation only and require that all vehicles and tailgate materials are in their designated spot no later than 8am race morning.
If your team is interested please contact the HOC teams coordinator by email at HOC Teams Email no later than 9/19/19.
- What is the deadline for online registration?
- Online registration will close on Monday September 23 at midnight EST.
Paper registration forms MUST be received by us no later than Tuesday, September 17.
If you do not submit your registration by these deadlines, on site registration is available at IU Memorial Stadium’s west concourse on Friday, September 27 from 11am – 6pm and on race morning, Saturday, September 28 from 7:30am – 9:00am.
- Are children under any certain age free?
- Registration fees include the event tee, refreshments, and a race number bib; therefore, to receive all of these items you must pay the registration fee.
However, if you only wish to have a tee shirt for your small child, you have the option during early registration to purchase additional event tees for $12. Children are welcome to participate free of charge with a parent or legal guardian who must register and sign a paper or electronic waiver. Waivers are available at registration in the west concourse of the stadium on race morning.
- What is a Spirit Runner?
- A Spirit Runner is no different than any other participant when it comes to registration deadlines, race shirts, or pricing. Registering as a Spirit Runner means you count as a team member(if you join a team), get an event tee shirt and contribute to HOC through your registration fee but may not be able attend the race in person OR you will attend the festivities but will not walk or run. Just like every other participant a Spirit Runner is responsible for retrieving race items during the regularly scheduled pickup times, or having a friend or associate retrieve the items for them. What the Spirit Runner does not receive is a race number/bib.
All items must be picked up by race day or they are forfeited and used for other purposes.
- Can I mail in a paper registration and pay by check?
- Yes, just print and mail in the paper registration to Bloomington Health Foundation, PO Box 249, Bloomington IN, 47402. We must receive the registration no later than Tuesday, September 17.
- How can I confirm that I am registered?
- Please see confirm my registration.
- Can I get my registration confirmation email resent?
- Yes, please visit resend registration confirmation email.
- I registered and/or was charged twice, what should I do?
- If you received two confirmations with two different confirmation numbers, then you have submitted two separate registrations. Please click on reg email to send a message to the Race Manager. Make sure to include you name, the confirmation numbers for both registrations and a phone number where we can reach you if we have further questions. We will contact you and confirm that your problem gets promptly resolved.
- What if I accidentally entered incorrect information when I registered?
- If the corrections you need are not urgent, the easiest way to make your change request is by visiting the help desk located in the west concourse of the registration/packet pickup area the day before the race or the morning of the race.
Hoosiers Outrun Cancer registration has set up an access tool that will allow you to edit certain registration fields. You can access this function via a link in your registration confirmation email.
At the bottom of your registration confirmation email you will find a section called “edit your registration record.” Click “request access” and follow the instructions.
Note: participant transfers and name changes may not be allowed.
- May I change from one event to another?
- Yes, the easiest way to make your change request is by visiting the help desk located in the west concourse of the registration/packet pickup area the day before the race or the morning of the race.
- May I transfer my entry to someone else?
- There are no transfers for this event.
- I can’t make it! May I get a refund for my entry?
- There are no refunds for this event.
- Where should I park for early packet pickup/late registration on Friday (9/27, day before the race?)
- Parking will be in the IU Athletics White lot which is on the West side of IU Memorial Stadium. Access to the White lot is easiest/best via gate 8 from Dunn Street. See the Friday parking map here.
- Where should I park on Race Day?
- Race Day parking on Saturday 9/28 is in the IU Athletics Purple lot which is on the North side of IU Memorial Stadium. Access to the Purple lot is easiest via gate 10 and 11 from the IN SR46 bypass.
Gate 9 off of Dunn Street is closed. Click here to see the race day parking map.
Note: THE WHITE LOT IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR PUBLIC PARKING ON RACE DAY.
- Can someone else pick up my packet?
- Can I register for the Run or Walk on Race Day?
- Yes, you may register for any of the events on race day ($35), from 7:30am-9:00am. However, we highly encourage participants to sign up early so they can be guaranteed a shirt and get the early registration rate.
- Can I wait and pick up my packet on Race Day?
- Yes, you may pick up your packet on race day, from 7:30am-9:00am in the west concourse of the stadium.
- Is there a gear check?
- No gear check. Parking is close enough to the start/finish area to use your vehicle for gear check. Indiana University and Hoosiers Outrun Cancer are not responsible for
any personal property while attending this event.
- Is there a Pasta Dinner or restaurant associated with the race?
- We do not personally host any restaurant events before the race but there are over many wonderful establishments in the area. Check out Visit Bloomington for help in finding a location to CARB up!
- Can I bring my dog/pet?
- No, please keep your furry friends at home.
Don’t get us wrong, we love animals (especially dogs) but participants will not be allowed to participate in the Hoosiers Outrun Cancer with animals, bicycles, roller skates, or inline skates.
- Are strollers or baby joggers allowed?
- Yes, but we ask that participants who have a stroller/baby jogger stay to the rear of the group for the safety of everyone.
- Are participants allowed to wear headsets during the run?
- For safety purposes, we strongly recommend that people do not wear headsets so they can hear important information or an emergency vehicle along the course.
- Where will I find First AID and water stations on the course?
- First AID and water stations are available at the 1 and 2 Mile marks as well as the finish line. The finish line AID and water station will also have fresh fruit in addition to a bottle of water for every participant. To see the full course route map please visit the Course Info page.
- Where will I find restrooms on Race Day?
- Restrooms are located inside the IU Memorial Stadium’s west concourse. Additionally, there are some portable toilets in the purple parking lot.
Please note: Portable toilets are NOT supplied anywhere on the course.
- Where is a good location to be a spectator and watch the race?
- Besides the start and the finish line there are a couple other great spots to spectate: the intersection of Woodlawn and 13th street and the intersection of Jordan Avenue and Law Lane on the hilltop.
To see the full course route map please visit the Course Info page.
- Is there a time limit for each race?
- No. Since the 1 Mile Walk follows the Kid’s 1 Mile Run and the 5K Walk follows the 5K Run, there are no imposed time limit on either of the races.
- Can I leave the course and come back?
- Any participant who leaves the course in a timed division will be disqualified.
- Are the courses certified?
- No, the Hoosiers Outrun Cancer 1 Mile and 5K courses are not certified. Since this is primarily a charity event and these are fun runs we do our best to get the course length as close as possible.
- Do finishers receive a medal?
- NO, there is not a finisher medal. However this year to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Hoosiers Outrun Cancer the first 5000 participants to register will receive a commemorative medallion. You will receive the medallion with your race number and event tee at packet pickup. There has never been a finisher medal as part of Hoosiers Outrun Cancer so register early to ensure you get yours
- Is their food or refreshments after the race?
- Yes, once you clear the Master Rental Finish Line, all finishers should proceed to the post race area. There you will find the Kroger food tent where all finishers receive a bottle of Dasani water along with some fresh fruit options which are usually Apples and Bananas.
In addition to the complimentary Kroger water and fruit there will be several food trucks available as well.
- Will shower facilities be available after the race?
- No. We do not provide access to any shower facilities
- Are there AWARDS for the Overall or Age Group winners?
- All participants in the 1 Mile Kid’s Fun Run/Walk receive a participation award, typically a ribbon or wrist band.
The Hoosiers Outrun Cancer 5K Run awards are as follows:
The OVERALL Male and Female winners:
$50 dollars and a free entry into the 2020 Hoosiers Outrun Cancer
The OVERALL Male and Female winners who are a Cancer Survivor or Warrior:
$50 dollars and a free entry into the 2020 Hoosiers Outrun Cancer
The Male and Female winners of each Age Group:
a TBD gift valued at $25 dollars and a free entry into the 2020 Hoosiers Outrun Cancer
Age groups are: 12 and under, 13-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+.
Awards must be picked up at the event. No awards will be mailed, shipped, or delivered.